[Numpy-discussion] arrayobject.h (and friends) install location

David M. Cooke cookedm at physics.mcmaster.ca
Sun Jan 15 23:08:02 EST 2006

On Jan 15, 2006, at 14:23 , Zachary Pincus wrote:

>>> Or is this a policy change which puts the headers in the site-
>>> packages
>>> directory?
>>
>> This is not an error. Use numpy.get_numpy_include() to retrive the
>> directory of numpy header files. See numpy.get_numpy_include.__doc__
>> for more information.
>
> Thanks for the information. Unfortunately, the package I'm working
> on can't be built with distutils, so it may wind up being something
> of a contortion to call numpy.get_numpy_include() from the build
> system I need to use.

You don't say what type of build system it is. If it's autoconf or
Makefile based, you could do something like

NUMPY_HEADERS=$(python -c 'import numpy; print numpy.get_numpy_include
()')

> Understanding that the optimal, preferred method of finding the
> include dir will always be numpy.get_numpy_include(), if I must
> resort to a suboptimal method of guessing likely locations, what
> will those locations be?
>
> Are they generally within the site-packages directory? Sometimes in
> the python include directory? Will they be ever-changing?

For now, they're in the site-packages directory, under numpy/core/
include. That position might change (it used to be numpy/base/
include, for instance), if we rename modules again. They probably
won't migrate to the python include directory for the reason they're
not in there now (non-root users can't install there).