[Numpy-discussion] Slow performance in array protocol with string arrays

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Wed Jan 4 09:29:23 EST 2006

> Francesc Altet wrote:
>> It seems that numarray implementation for the array protocol in string
>> arrays is very slow for dimensionality > 10:

OK, I'll bite -- what in the world do you need an array of strings with
dimensionality > 10 for ?

Which brings up another curiosity: I'm all in favor of not having
arbitrary limits on anything, but I'm curious what the largest rank
NumPy array anyone has ever had a real use for is? I don't think I've
ever used rank > 3, or maybe 4.

Anyone have a use case for a very large rank array?

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov