[Numpy-discussion] Scipy - Numpy incompatiblility when calling upon Old Numeric

frbeaxs frbeaxs at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 27 21:51:22 EST 2006

I am using Python 2.4  with  Numpy  0.9.8.  Matpylib graphs function under
these two version except when old numeric must be called to utilized  the
spline  function in contouring the graphs leading to the  error:

Traceback (most recent call last):

  File "C:\File\XXX", line 3, in ?

    from scipy.sandbox.delaunay import *

  File "C:\Python24\lib\site-packages\scipy\__init__.py", line 32, in ?

    from numpy import oldnumeric

  File "C:\Python24\lib\site-packages\numpy\oldnumeric\__init__.py", line 3,
in ?

    from compat import *

  File "C:\Python24\lib\site-packages\numpy\oldnumeric\compat.py", line 133,
in ?

    from numpy import deprecate

ImportError: cannot import name deprecate

Scipy 0.5.0 seems to be compatible only with Numpy 101b, not version 0.9.8
and I have to switch version of Numpy to should I need to utilize Scipy,
however certain matpylib graphs will not function.

Upgrading Scipy to 0.5.2  and Numpy 101 has no negative effects on the
programs  I wrote or the matplotlib sample programs, however  the following
error message  replaces the Import error above

Matrix = matrix

NameError:name  matrix is not defined.

Downgrading  NUMPY  to ver 9.6 produces even more problems.

The best match seems to be Mumpy 0.9.8 used with SciPy 0.50 seems to be the
best combination however it prohibits calling upon Oldnemeric which seems to
be necessary to use the spline function.

Does anyone have any idea on how to get around this?

frbeaxs