[Numpy-discussion] Definition of correlation, correlate and so on ?

Alan G Isaac aisaac at american.edu
Tue Dec 12 09:40:02 EST 2006

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006, Charles R Harris apparently wrote:
> Neither have I, it is one of those oddities that may have
> been inherited from Numeric. I wouldn't mind seeing it
> changed but it is probably a bit late for that.

I hope that "too late" is not a determining argument!

I hope the argument will address the following:
- was there a justification for the extant behavior? If so,
  what was it, and does it still seem valid?
- is the current definition reasonable; does it match
  definitions in use in at least some domain?
        http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Cross-Correlation.html
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-correlation
- if not, is this behavior so unexpected as to be considered
  a bug?
- are many existing applications depending on it?

The worst case is:
it is a bug, but many existing users depend on the current behavior.
I am not taking a position, but that seems the current view on this list.
I hope that *if* that is the assessment, then a transition
path will be plotted.  For example, a keyword could be
added, with a proper default, and a warning emitted when it
is not set.

Cheers,
Alan Isaac