[Numpy-discussion] Numpy and Python 2.2 on RHEL3

David Bogen david.bogen at icecube.wisc.edu
Tue Dec 5 11:07:28 EST 2006

All:

Is it possible to build Numpy using Python 2.2?  I haven't been able to
find anything that explicitly lists the versions of Python with which
Numpy functions so I've been working under the assumption that the two
bits will mesh together somehow.

When I try to build Numpy 1.0.1 on RedHat Enterprise Linux 3 using
Python 2.2.3, I get the following error:

$ /usr/bin/python2.2 setup.py build
Running from numpy source directory.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "setup.py", line 89, in ?
    setup_package()
  File "setup.py", line 59, in setup_package
    from numpy.distutils.core import setup
  File "numpy/distutils/__init__.py", line 5, in ?
    import ccompiler
  File "numpy/distutils/ccompiler.py", line 11, in ?
    import log
  File "numpy/distutils/log.py", line 4, in ?
    from distutils.log import *
ImportError: No module named log

Through extensive trial and error I've been able to hack the distutils
files enough to make that error go away, but then I start getting an
error describing an invalid syntax with the directive "yield os.path"
which seems to be a deeper, more complex error to fix.

Am I attempting the impossible here or am I just doing something
fundamentally and obviously wrong?

David

--
David Bogen   :: (608) 263-0168