[Numpy-discussion] Atempt to build numpy-1.0b2 fail on distutils.ccompiler

Yatima Meiji yatimameiji at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 19:29:11 EDT 2006

I'm currently running a fresh install of Suse 10.1.  I ran the numpy setup
script using "python setup.py install" and it fails with this error:

Running from numpy source directory.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "setup.py", line 89, in ?
    setup_package()
  File "setup.py", line 59, in setup_package
    from numpy.distutils.core import setup
  File "/home/xxx/numpy-1.0b2/numpy/distutils/__init__.py", line 5, in ?
    import ccompiler
  File "/home/xxx/numpy-1.0b2/numpy/distutils/ccompiler.py", line 6, in ?
    from distutils.ccompiler import *
ImportError: No module named distutils.ccompiler

I checked ccompiler.py to see what was wrong.  I'm not much of a programmer,
but it seems strange to have ccompiler.py reference itself.

I'm guessing others have compilied numpy just fine, so whats wrong with me?

Thanks in advanced.
--
"Physics is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that's
not why we do it." -- Richard P. Feynman