[Numpy-discussion] Re: Summer of Code 2006

Travis Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Sat Apr 15 10:51:18 EDT 2006

Albert Strasheim wrote:
> Hello all
>

> Let me start by saying that the build system works fine for what I think is
> the default case, i.e. building NumPy on Linux with preinstalled LAPACK and
> BLAS. However, as soon as you vary any of those parameters, things get
> interesting.

It also builds fine with mingw and pre-installed ATLAS (I do it all the
time).   It also builds fine with no-installed ATLAS (or LAPACK or BLAS)
with mingw32 and Linux.  It also builds on Mac OS X.   It also builds on
Solaris, AIX, and Cygwin.   Work also went in recently to make sure it
builds with a Visual Studio Compiler (the one Tim Hochberg was using...)

So, I think it's a bit unfair to say that varying from only a Linux
build causes "things to get interesting".   Definitely there are
configurations that can require a specialized site.cfg file and it can
be difficult if you build with a compiler that was not used to build
Python itself.    But, it's not a one-platform build system.   I just
want that to be clear.

Documentation on the site.cfg file could be more prominent, of course,
and this was aided recently by the addition of an example file to the
source tree.

The expert on the build system is Pearu Peterson.    He has been very
responsive to suggested fixes and problems that people have
experienced.   Robert Kern, David Cooke, and I also have some
familiarity with the build system enough to assist from time to time.

All help is greatly appreciated, however, as I know you can come up with
configurations that do cause things to "get interesting."   The more
configurations that we get tested and working, the better off we will
be.   The more people who understand the build system well enough to
help fix it, the better off we'll be as well.   So,  I definitely don't
want to discourage any ideas you have on improving the build system.

Thanks for being willing to dive in and help.

-Travis