[Numpy-discussion] Re: ANN: numarray-1.4.0

Todd Miller jmiller at stsci.edu
Fri Oct 28 02:20:26 EDT 2005

Andrew Jaffe wrote:

> Hi-
>
>> 4. scipy newcore compatible lower case type names (e.g. int32 not Int32)
>

> Is this actually true? For example, numarray.Float64 exists as before,
> but numarray.float64 does not.

I added the "string aliases" but didn't create new Python object
bindings.  So you can currently say something like

    arange(10, dtype='float32')

but cannot yet say:

    arange(10, dtype=float32)

Good catch.   I'll add those soon.

>> 5. scipy newcore 'dtype' keyword and .dtypechar attribute.
>

> And more generally, is there any more information on the relationship
> between numarray and scipy_core?

I think scipy_core is intended to add the best numarray-like features to
Numeric.

> Will numarray be phased out eventually (i.e., should we start moving
> over to scipy?)?

When scipy_core matures enough to replace numarray,  numarray will be
phased out.    If you rely on numarray,  it is definitely worth your
time to keep an eye on scipy_core and switch when it meets your needs
better.

Regards,
Todd