[Numpy-discussion] how to use lu decomposition in lapack library?

Piotr Luszczek luszczek at cs.utk.edu
Tue Oct 4 12:41:04 EDT 2005

Then you have to dig in deeper:

import numarray
import numarray.linear_algebra
import numarray.linear_algebra.lapack_lite2 as lapack_lite

piv = numarray.zeros((n,), "l")
outcome = lapack_lite.dgesv(n, nrhs, a, lda, piv, b, ldb, 0)

outcome['info'] is the 'info' parameter set by LAPACK.

You have to make sure that 'a' and 'b' are in Fortran order
because you're calling Fortran code. Here is a sample code:

>>> a=numarray.array([[1,2,3],[4,5,6]], 'd')
>>> a.is_fortran_contiguous()
0
>>> a.is_c_array()
True
>>> a.is_f_array()
0
>>> a.transpose()
>>> a.is_fortran_contiguous()
1
>>> a.is_c_array()
False
>>> a.is_f_array()
True

Call to 'transpose()' made it a Fortran array but it transposed
the array too.

Piotr