[SciPy-dev] Re: [Numpy-discussion] Purchasing Documentation

Eric Jonas jonas at cortical.mit.edu
Tue Oct 4 04:50:54 EDT 2005

I wanted to echo isaac's point:

> I also plan to ask our library to purchase the book, but
> I am concerned that your statement that multiple users each
> need their own copy might mean a library purchase is
> forbidden.  I assume it did not mean that, and that you
> just meant that making multiple copies is restricted.  (Our
> library supports electronic book check out.)  Ruling out
> library purchases would, I think, be a costly mistake for
> many reasons, which I can list if you are interested.

I couldn't agree more, although I'm not quite sure how a license could
be worded such that it would allow a library copy and prevent a lab
bench copy, which I think was Travis' intent.

That said, have you considered selling "site licenses" of a sort? I know
my lab would pay a few hundred to get a PDF that we could just stick in
our fileserver and use in perpetuity. I know that right now there's
nothing -preventing- us from buying just one copy and doing that (other
than pesky copyright law), but we'd like to support the project.

	   ...Eric