[Numpy-discussion] Re: Numeric: Change of v24.0

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Tue Oct 25 11:45:26 EDT 2005

Weissmann Markus wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Before beginning my rant: Thank you very much for Numeric - you're
> doing a great job!
> <rant>
> I'm a bit pissed as you changed the - already released tarball of
> version 24.0;
> This is a real mess, as all build systems out there have problems
> distinguishing versions,
> the correct tarballs (hashes will fail) etc.

I'm not sure what you are talking about.

The old tarball was always a beta release.    It took a long time to get
the actual release out, but that is due to the lack of reports.

> I don't think this is my personal, or my projects impression, as e.
> g. Novell [1] & O'Reilly [2]
> clearly were under the impression that the old tarball was v24.0.
> </rant>

Then they were mistaken.  It was always clearly marked as version 24b2
(beta-release 2).

> Whatever happened that lead to this confusion, it would be great if
> you could at least
> make a version bump to 24.1 right now so everyone can be sure that
> 24.1 is 24.1 in contrast
> to 24.0 not being 24.0 all the time.

Someone could make a 24.1, but I don't see the need, and I'm not really
interested in doing that.  I'm done with Numeric development as I've
moved to scipy core.

I'm sorry for your consternation.

-Travis