[Numpy-discussion] Yet another problem in CVS numarray

Todd Miller jmiller at stsci.edu
Thu Nov 10 08:47:53 EST 2005

Francesc Altet wrote:

>El dv 04 de 11 del 2005 a les 15:35 -0500, en/na Todd Miller va
>escriure:
>

>>This turned out to be a problem with the way numarray handles Numeric's
>>multi-segment buffer protocol.   I worked around this by implementing
>>David Cooke's __array_struct__ array interface for numarray.
>>

>Did you commit the changes in CVS? I'm getting the same problems with
>the current CVS version:

>'24.1'

>'1.4.2'

>array([1, 2, 3, 4])

>Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
>  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/numarray/numarraycore.py", line
>380, in array
>    a = a.astype(type)
>  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/numarray/numarraycore.py", line
>867, in astype
>    return self.copy()
>  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/numarray/numarraycore.py", line
>927, in copy
>    c = _gen.NDArray.copy(self)
>  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/numarray/generic.py", line 724,
>in copy
>    arr._itemsize)
>numarray.libnumarray.error: copy4bytes: access beyond buffer. offset=11
>buffersize=8

This turned out to be  a bug in numarray buffer size determination...
striding wasn't accounted for so the buffer appeared to be too small.
It's fixed now in CVS.  There's still a backward compatibility problem
for old Numerics which don't implement __array_struct__ and get
multi-segment buffers through __array_data__.

Regards,
Todd