[Numpy-discussion] Re: numarray 1.3.1 setup patch for mac OS X veclib

Andrew Jaffe a.h.jaffe at gmail.com
Fri May 27 08:10:57 EDT 2005

Dear All,

My apologies, but I seem to have made a mistake in the distutils patch
for OS X, which has unfortunately made it into the latest 1.3.2
release.

The bottom line is, I think, that we need an explicit include dir for
cblas.h, rather than framework.

Thus, we really need to add the following line to cfg_packages.py:
         lapack_include_dirs +=
['/System/Library/Frameworks/vecLib.framework/Headers']
in the block that deals with the veclib framework (around line 53)

This should be generic -- it's a symlink to the current version -- but I
don't know if there's a better way to auto-generate the dir name.

Sorry for not testing thoroughly enough!

Andrew

On 22 May 2005, at 17:46, Andrew Jaffe wrote:

>Hi all,

>I've had some trouble getting the numarray-1.3.1 setup scripts to
recognize the optimized
>BLAS/LAPACK, veclib, on OS X. But I think I've tracked down the problems.

>First, the section of addons.py that checks for the existence of the
>framework (around line 47) needs to set lapack_dirs = [], I think,
>since it needs to exist later on.

>Second, the section after that that sets lapack_compile_args,
>lapack_link_args and lapack_include_dirs for *all* cases (lines 57-60)
>overwrites lapack_link_args from the if...elif...else above.

>Finally, cblas.h isn't included correctly, since the framework option
>is only used for linking, not compiling.

>I've attached a patchfile for addons.py below; I switched the two
sections and added to the
>framework if... clause. Use it with
   > patch addons.py addons.patch

>I hope this is a reasonable way to propagate this to the developers.

>Please let me know if it doesn't work for any reason, or if it breaks
any other install, which
>I haven't checked.

Andrew Jaffe
Astrophysics Group