[Numpy-discussion] Current thoughts on future directions

Michiel Jan Laurens de Hoon mdehoon at ims.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Wed Mar 9 23:30:15 EST 2005

Travis Oliphant wrote:
> 1) There will be a scipy_core  package which will be essentially what
> Numeric has always been (plus a few easy to install extras already in
> current scipy_core).   It will likely contain the functionality of (the
> names and placements will be similar to current scipy_core).
> Numeric3  (actually called ndarray  or narray or numstar or numerix or
> something....)
> fft      (based on c-only code -- no fortran dependency)
> linalg (a lite version -- no fortran or ATLAS dependency)
> stats  (a lite version --- no fortran dependency)
> special (only c-code --- no fortran dependency)

That would be great! If it can be installed as easily as Numerical
Python (and I have no reason to believe it won't be), I will certainly
point users to this package instead of the older Numerical Python. I'd
be happy to help out here, but I guess most of this code is working fine
already.

> 2) The rest of scipy will be a package (or a series of packages) of
> algorithms.  We will not try to do plotting as part of scipy.  The
> current plotting in scipy will be supported for a time, but users will
> be weaned off to other packages:  matplotlib, pygist (for xplt -- and I
> will work to get any improvements for xplt into pygist itself),
> gnuplot,  etc.

Let me know which improvements from xplt you want to include into
pygist. It might also be a good idea to move the pygist web pages to
scipy.org.

--Michiel.