[Numpy-discussion] problem with poisson generators

Sebastian Haase haase at msg.ucsf.edu
Tue Jul 12 14:51:55 EDT 2005

Hi Flavio!
I had reported this long time ago and this list (about numarray).
Somehow this got more or less dismissed. If I recall correctly the argument
was that nobody could reproduce it (I ran this on Debian Woody ,py2.2, (with
CVS numarray at the time).

I ended up writting my own wrapper(s):
def poissonArr(shape=defshape, mean=1):
	from numarray import random_array as ra
	if mean == 0:
		return zeroArrF(shape)
	elif mean < 0:
		raise "poisson not defined for mean < 0"
	else:
		return ra.poisson(mean, shape).astype(na.UInt16)

def poissonize(arr):
	from numarray import random_array as ra
	return na.where(arr<=0, 0, ra.poisson(arr)).astype(na.UInt16)

(I use the astype(na.UInt16) because of some OpenGL code)

Just last week had this problem on a windows98 computer (python2.4).

This should get sorted out ...

Thanks for reporting this problem.
Sebastian Haase