[Numpy-discussion] Speeding up Numeric

Norbert Nemec Norbert.Nemec.list at gmx.de
Sun Jan 23 03:21:14 EST 2005

Am Samstag, 22. Januar 2005 20:16 schrieb Tim Hochberg:
> I don't have a good feel for the NaN/Inf checking. If it's possible to
> hoist the checking to outside all of the loops, then the above arguments
> probably apply here as well. If not, this might be a candidate for an
> 'unsafe' library. That seems more reasonable to me as I'm much more
> tolerant of NaNs than segfaults.

Why do we need NaN/Inf checking anyway? The whole point of IEEE754 is to give
operations on NaNs and Infs clearly defined results, eliminating many
unnecessary checks.

I think, it was one of the fundamental flaws in the design of Python not to
include IEEE754 from the very beginning. Leaving the details of floating
point handling completely to the implementation calls for incompatibilities
and results in a situation where you can only work by trial and error instead
of relying on some defined standard.