[Numpy-discussion] Speeding up numarray -- questions on its design

konrad.hinsen at laposte.net konrad.hinsen at laposte.net
Wed Jan 19 03:39:04 EST 2005

On 18.01.2005, at 19:26, Travis Oliphant wrote:

> On another fundamental note, numarray is being sold as a replacement
> for Numeric.  But, then, on closer inspection many things that Numeric
> does well, numarray is ignoring or not doing very well.  I think this
> presents a certain amount of false advertising to new users, who don't
> understand the history.  Most of them would probably never need the
> fanciness that

I agree with that. I regularly get questions from people who download
my code and then wonder why it "still" uses NumPy instead of the
"newer" numarray. The reason is that my code has nothing to gain from
numarray, as it uses many small and few if any very large arrays. I
have no problem explaining that, but the fact that the question arises
shows that there is a wrong perception by many newcomers of the
relation between NumPy and numarray.

> comment, I could easily have missed where that support is provided.
> I'm mainly following up on Konrad's comment that his Automatic
> differentiation does not work with Numarray because of the missing
> support for object arrays.  There are other applications for object
> arrays as well.   Most of the

While I agree that object arrays are useful, they have nothing to do
with the missing feature that I mentioned recently. That one concerns
only ufuncs. In NumPy, they use a method call when presented with an
object type they cannot handle directly. In numarray, they just produce
an error message in that case.

Returning to object arrays, I have used them occasionally but never in
any of my public code, because there have been lots of minor bugs
concerning them in all versions of NumPy. It would be nice if numarray
could do a better job there.

Konrad.
-------
Konrad Hinsen