[Numpy-discussion] install, numpy

Stephen Walton stephen.walton at csun.edu
Tue Jan 4 10:11:27 EST 2005

Chris Barker wrote:

> Suse is likely to provide an atlas rpm.

How?  I've struggled with trying to create ATLAS RPMs in order to
maintain it locally, but the rpm program doesn't have the hooks to
distinguish between the various architectures ATLAS supports;  it
distinguishes between Athlon and Pentium, for example, and an ATLAS
library built on the former core dumps on the latter.

It would also be nice if ATLAS could be made a shared library, but
that's also not supported at this time.  Without it, Numeric and
numarray built against ATLAS inherit its architecture dependence.  It
makes maintaining all of this at our site a real pain.