[Numpy-discussion] Numeric3

Michiel Jan Laurens de Hoon mdehoon at ims.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Wed Feb 9 03:05:34 EST 2005

Travis Oliphant wrote:
> Again,  from my perspective once Numeric3 is working reasonably well,
> Numeric ceases to exist for me.  Yes others may continue to download it,
> but I won't be maintaining it anymore.

It is certainly fair for SciPy developers to focus on Numeric3/SciPy and
stop maintaining Numeric. In open-source development, people get to
choose what they want to work on. And if creating Numeric3 will lead to
a more useable SciPy, I'm all for it.

 From the discussion on this list, it seems that there are still users
who will continue to use Numeric for the time being. It would therefore
be good if some of those users can become Numeric maintainers for the
benefit of people who choose to continue using Numeric for now. Is
anybody else interested in becoming a Numeric maintainer? Since the
focus will be on maintenance rather than code development, I expect the
workload to be acceptable. Is anybody else in favor of appointing
Numeric maintainers?

--Michiel.