[Numpy-discussion] Multiarray PEP

Magnus Lie Hetland magnus at hetland.org
Thu Feb 17 01:35:20 EST 2005

Travis Oliphant <oliphant at ee.byu.edu>:

> I am looking for feedback on the PEP.   Of particular interest is the
> specification of multidimensional indexing that I've outlined.  I think
> it is mostly the same as numarray (I'd love some feedback to be sure
> about that), except for the fact that X[K] where K is a a single integer
> index array can do 1-d indexing similar to MATLAB.  The equivalent
> numarray indexing is available as X[K,].    Now that I've specified what
> is to happen, I think it won't be very difficult to code.

Sorry if I'm a bit quick to respond here (haven't read the PEP yet; I
seem to have lost the URL) but ... is this related to the following
issue (which I struggled with for a while back in 2002)?

  http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=2700193

IMO, special-casing (if that's what you're proposing) is a Bad
Think(tm), as general code will then have to add special-casing to
avoid tripping over it... (But I may just be confused here :)

- M

--
Magnus Lie Hetland       Fallen flower I see / Returning to its branch
http://hetland.org       Ah! a butterfly.           [Arakida Moritake]