[Numpy-discussion] NumPy on 64-bit Linux (Opteron)

Sebastian Haase haase at msg.ucsf.edu
Wed Feb 9 13:30:36 EST 2005

On Wednesday 09 February 2005 11:24 am, Perry Greenfield wrote:
> Sebastian Haase wrote:
> > (RE: numarray)
> > Hi,
> > On an Opteron (Suse9) I was happy to see that I could allocate
> > the memory for
> > an Int32-1024x1024x1024 cube. (On a P4 a get 'MemoryError').
> > I remember that Todd always said that python itself wasn't
> > 64bit-ready yet.
> > But why is it needed to support >4GB python-lists if one is only
> > interested in
> > large numarrays (or numeric) ?
>
> In short, to support the Python sequence protocol (arrays can be
> used anywhere Python code expects sequences transparently).

Perry,
Thanks for the answer - that's about what I remembered.
Is is conceivable to have a compiler flag (#define) to turn all the sequence
protocol support off ?  (How many places in the numarray code would that be?)

I think the wish to just allocate large arrays and (even if in a very limited
way!) work with them is clearly shared by many people.
I always felt having a Py-List longer than billons of elements would have a
rather low priority in comparison.

Thanks again,
Sebastian