[Numpy-discussion] new scipyCore features in numarray - indexing...

Perry Greenfield perry at stsci.edu
Thu Dec 1 12:35:45 EST 2005

On Dec 1, 2005, at 3:19 PM, Sebastian Haase wrote:

> (this was posted to SciPy on 2005-11-16 16:37 - maybe I got lost ;-)
> Todd,
> I'm just thinking of a nice feature that I think is now part of new
>  scipyCore: Mixing  index ranges in one axis with index lists in
> another.
> Example:
>    I have index 4,7,9 that I'm intrested in: use a[ [4,7,9] ]
>    If I want all section I obviously just say a[ : ]
> But what do I do in the 2d case where I want 4,7,9 in one axis and all
> in the
> other ?  I understood that the new scipyCore allows a[:, [4,7,9]]
> whereas numarray gives an error !?
>

> Thanks,
> Sebastian Haase

If the question is whether we will be adding that feature to numarray,
the answer is no. We don't have close to the resources to do that and
work on porting our stuff to scipy_core at this time (anyone else that
wants to is welcome). [As an aside, we considered adding that to
numarray at the start, but decided against doing that because indexing
seemed complex already; not that we are against the capability.]

Perry