[Numpy-discussion] The array interface published

Magnus Lie Hetland magnus at hetland.org
Tue Apr 5 02:00:24 EDT 2005

Scott Gilbert <xscottg at yahoo.com>:

> --- Michiel Jan Laurens de Hoon <mdehoon at ims.u-tokyo.ac.jp> wrote:
> >
> > I'm not sure what you mean by "the array interface could become
> > part of the Python standard as early as Python 2.5", since there
> > is nothing to install. Or does this mean that Python's array will
> > conform to the array interface?
> >

> It would be nice to have the Python array module support the protocol for
> the 1-Dimensional arrays that it implements.  It would also be nice to add
> a *simple* ndarray object in the core that supports multi-dimensional
> arrays.  I think breaking backward compatibility of the existing Python
> array module to support multiple dimensions would be a mistake and unlikely
> to get accepted.

Do we really have to break backward compatibility in order to add more
dimensions to the array module?

There may be some issues with, e.g., typecode, but still...

--
Magnus Lie Hetland                    Fall seven times, stand up eight
http://hetland.org                                  [Japanese proverb]