[Numpy-discussion] random number facilities in numarray and main Python libs

Faheem Mitha faheem at email.unc.edu
Tue Sep 7 16:09:06 EDT 2004

Dear People,

I recently encountered a strange problem when writing some Python using
random number code. I tried setting the seed at top level, but I was still
get random results. I submitted a bug report, and had my error explained
to me.

I had run into this problem several times, and I think some mental block
had prevented me from seeing the source of the problem. Part of the reason
is that I had previously been using R, and everyone uses the same random
number generator facilities.

Are the random number facilities provided by numarray.random_array
superior to those provided to those provided by the random module in the
Python library? They certainly seem more extensive, and I like the
interface better.

If so, why not replace the random module by the equivalent functionality
from numarray.random_array, and have everyone use the same random number
generator? Or is this impossible for practical reasons?

By the way, what is the name of the pseudo-random number generator being
used? I see that the code is in Packages/RandomArray2/Src, but could not
see where the name of the generator is mentioned.
                                                                 Faheem.