[Numpy-discussion] Java version for numarray?

Todd Miller jmiller at stsci.edu
Tue Jun 22 13:30:12 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 07:11, Francesc Alted wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using numarray objects basically like data containers for fast I/O
> purposes in the context of pytables. I'm thinking now to port part of my
> code to Java, and I'd like to use Jython to easy the transition. I've seen
> that a there is a port of Numeric to Jython
> (http://jnumerical.sourceforge.net/), and I thought that I could use these
> Numeric objects as containers. Unfortunately, there are a couple of objects
> that pytables relies on, namely RecArray and CharArray, that are not
> supported by Numeric.
>
> My questions are:
>
> - I think that both RecArray and CharArray modules are written in pure
> python, so the porting to Jython should be relatively easy, provided I'm
> successful making them to use Numeric objects instead of NumArray objects.
> What do you think?

Sounds hard.  I doubt there is enough commonality with the numarray to
make bolting on the pure-Python RecArray and CharArray implementations
reasonable.  RecArray and CharArray are very much dependent on
generic.NDArray;  I doubt they're easy to port to Numeric.

>  Would that be feasible?

I don't think so.

> - Is there any effort going on in order to have an implementation of
> numarray ready for use in Jython?

No.

Sorry about the slow response,
Todd