[Numpy-discussion] RandomArray.random()

Janne Sinkkonen janne.sinkkonen at hut.fi
Thu Jun 3 04:20:06 EDT 2004

Related to a recent discussion on random numbers:

People using RandomArray.random() on 64-bit architectures should also be aware
that sometimes the function returns exactly zero or one, which in turn causes
problems in many other routines which generate e.g. multinomial or dirichlet
variates.

I'm not absolutely sure that the problem persists in the newest version of
Numeric, and I have not tested it on numarray. Anyway, I have seen it both in
Alphas and now later in an AMD Opteron machine - over the years.

Unfortunately, as we do not have had time to dig any deeper around here, we
have just used wrapper with a test and a loop.

--
Janne