[Numpy-discussion] why numarray.inputarray?

Todd Miller jmiller at stsci.edu
Tue Feb 10 05:41:04 EST 2004

On Mon, 2004-02-09 at 13:55, Tim Hochberg wrote:
> I just noticed that the name asarray is considered obsolete and is to be
> replaced with inputarray. Why is that?

I'm not sure what gave you that impression;  asarray() isn't obsolete.

inputarray() was implemented "independently" and then I discovered
afterward that it should have been called asarray().  At the time,  I
was hesitant to rename public functions so I just added the asarray()
alias rather than renaming inputarray().

> The name asarray has a pretty
> clear connection with it's behaviour (return it's argument as an array),
> while I can come up with no such connection for inputarray. The best I
> can come up with is that it's often used on the inputs of functions to
> coerce them to arrays, but that seems a pretty tenuous connection. Is
> there a better reason?

Nope.

Todd Miller <jmiller at stsci.edu>