[Numpy-discussion] Using new numeric instances in NumArray and RecArray.

Ivan Vilata i Balaguer ivilata at carabos.com
Mon Dec 13 14:21:06 EST 2004

On Mon, Dec 13, 2004 at 12:20:29PM -0500, Colin J. Williams wrote:
> [...]
> The complexity would depend partly on whether TimeStuff deals only with
> data of the MyTime32 type.
>
> If all other data types (Int8, Float, Complex etc.) are barred, then the
> needed overriding would probably be simpler.
> [...]

  I have the feeling that MyInt32-only support should be enough for the
  NumArray subclass (it's a uniform array).  However, the RecArray
  subclass should be able to handle all existing types in addition to
  MyInt32.

> I guess that another factor to consider is whether this is a one-off
> project or something which will be in production for years to come.  If
> the former, it might be simpler to do the time related things outside of
> numarray.  On the other hand, if execution time is a significant factor,
> then it could be worthwhile to modify the ufuncs - that is not a thing I
> would like to tackle.

  Hehe, it will be production code with time-critical requirements. :)
  However, it now seems to me that subclassing NumArray and RecArray
  will be the right thing (not the easiest, though) to do.

  Thanks a lot Colin and Todd for your helpful comments.  I'll try to do
  it and will tell you how it went.  Bye!

--
Ivan Vilata i Balaguer   >qo<   http://www.carabos.com/
       Cárabos Coop. V.  V  V   Enjoy Data