[Numpy-discussion] Numarray 0.5

Peter Verveer verveer at embl-heidelberg.de
Tue May 6 05:25:07 EDT 2003

Hi All,

I found the following problems after testing my software with numarray 0.5:

1) Following works fine if both a and b are arrays:

>>> a = array([2])
>>> b = array([1, 2])
>>> print a + b
[3 4]

However, if b is an python sequence:

>>> a = array([2])
>>> b = [1, 2]
>>> print a + b
[3]

Apparently broadcasting does not work with python sequeces anymore. This used
to work fine in version 0.4. Is this a bug?

2) It is not possible to compare an array type object to the 'Any' object:

>>> Float64 == Any
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.2/site-packages/numarray/numerictypes.py", line
112, in __cmp__
    return (genericTypeRank.index(self.name) -
ValueError: list.index(x): x not in list

I am not sure if this is a bug, or intended behaviour, but the possibilty to
compare an array type object to 'Any' would be very useful for me.

3) The NA_typeNoToTypeObject() function fails if it is called before any
arrays are created. It looks to me as if the pNumType array in
libnumarraymodule.c is not initialized until an array is created. I don't
know if any other functions are affected in the same way. Could this be
fixed?

Cheers, Peter

--
Dr. Peter J. Verveer
Cell Biology and Cell Biophysics Programme
Email: Peter.Verveer at embl-heidelberg.de