[Numpy-discussion] Sparse Arrays in NumPy?

Travis Oliphant oliphant at ee.byu.edu
Mon Jan 13 12:59:04 EST 2003

> Hello all,
>
> I have been trying to find a package/addon that will provide a sparse array
> class to NumPy, or will at least trick NumPy to use a sparse array as a
> regular array, to no avail.

Sparse arrays are not a common object.  Sparse matrices have many, many
implementations of which I'm sure you're aware.

What you want is a general purpose N-D array that uses some kind of sparse
storage.  I'm not aware of such an object in any other language.  Most of
the time people remap their particular problem so that any sparse arrays
become sparse matrices.  All of the effort is then focused in manipulating
certain classes of sparse matrices.

-Travis