[Numpy-discussion] Accessing a Numeric 'c' array from numarray

Francesc Alted falted at openlc.org
Sat Jan 18 01:23:03 EST 2003

Hi,

I'm trying to make a C array from a Numeric "c" (Character) typecode array
using the high level call:

NA_InputArray(PyObject *numarray, NumarrayType t, int requires)

with no success.

As I have been able to access all the other types (i.e.
'1','b','s','i','l','f','d') successfully, perhaps character type is not
supported?

In the NumarrayType enum, there is no tChar, but I've tried tUInt8 and tAny
as the value for NumarrayType parameter, but both choices issues the same
error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "table-tree2.py", line 77, in ?
    h5file.createArray('/columns', 'name', array(names), "Name column")
  File "/home/falted/PyTables/pytables-0.3/tables/File.py", line 400, in
createArray
    setattr(group, name, object)
  File "/home/falted/PyTables/pytables-0.3/tables/Group.py", line 355, in
__setattr__
    value._f_putObjectInTree(name, self)
  File "/home/falted/PyTables/pytables-0.3/tables/Leaf.py", line 71, in
_f_putObjectInTree
    self.create()
  File "/home/falted/PyTables/pytables-0.3/tables/Array.py", line 83, in
create
    self.createArray(self.object, self.title)
  File "/home/falted/PyTables/pytables-0.3/src/hdf5Extension.pyx", line 913,
in createArray
    array = NA_InputArray(arr, numfmt2[arr.typecode()], C_ARRAY)
libnumarray.error: getShape: sequence object nested more than MAXDIM deep.

although I was passing only a Numeric 'c' with a rather small shape (10,16).

I just want to access the buffer data, and the shape of this object from C
(well, I'm actually using Pyrex, but I think this is not important). Is that
possible by only using numarray C calls?

Thanks,

--
Francesc Alted