[Numpy-discussion] arange(-10)

Todd Miller jmiller at stsci.edu
Mon Oct 7 08:53:04 EDT 2002

Pearu Peterson wrote:

>On Mon, 7 Oct 2002, Todd Miller wrote:
>
>>The subject line contains what I consider to be an invalid range
>>expression.   Numarray, now and always, reacts badly to it.  Currently,
>>numarray tries to allocate a multi-gigabyte array.   In the past, it has
>>dumped core.
>>
>>The question is, what should it do?
>>
>>1. raise ValueError, "Invalid negative range expression"     (my +1)
>>2. zeros((0,), 'l')
>>                  (Numeric does this)
>>
>>Is there a good justification to keep the existing Numeric behavior?
>> Any other suggestions?
>>

>Does Numarray support empty arrays? If yes, I'd vote for Python behavior:

Numarray has no problem with empty arrays so both choices are easy to
implement.  It apparently has a different repr (than Numeric) for
"nothing" which is:

array([])

Currently the tally is +2 exception, +1 Numeric-compatible.  I'll
probably just implement it at COB today, before I forget.

Thanks for voting
Todd