[Numpy-discussion] Numarray: minor feature requests (setup.py and version info)

Todd Miller jmiller at stsci.edu
Sun Jun 30 06:24:03 EDT 2002

Perry Greenfield wrote:

>Hi Eric,
>
>Todd Miller should answer these but he is away for a few days.
>
>>1. When running 'python setup.py' and 'python setup.py --help'
>>   I was surprised to see that already source generation
>>   took place:
>>
>>Using EXTRA_COMPILE_ARGS = []
>>generating new version of Src/_convmodule.c
>>generating new version of Src/_ufuncComplex64module.c
>>
>>   Normally, you would expect that at build/install time.
>>
>Yes, it looks like it does the code generation regardless of
>the option. We should change that.

I'll clean this up.

>>2. Because I'm running two versions of Python (because Zope
>>   and a lot of Zope/C products depend on a particular version)
>>   the 'development' Python is installed in /usr/local/bin
>>   (whereas SuSE's python is in /usr/bin).
>>   It probably wouldn't do any harm if the manual would include
>>   a hint at the '--prefix' option and mention an alternative
>>   Python installation like:
>>
>>       /usr/local/bin/python ./setup.py install --prefix=/usr/local
>>
>Good idea.

I'm actually surprised that this is necessary.  I was under the
impression that the distutils pick reasonable defaults simply based on
the python that is running.  In your case,  I would expect numarray to
install to /usr/local/lib/pythonX.Y/site-packages without specifying any
prefix.  What happens on SuSE?

>>3. After installation, I usually test the success of a library's
>>   import by looking at version info (especially with multiple
>>   installations, see [2]). However, numarray does not seem to
>>   have version info? :
>>

>># python
>>Python 2.2.1 (#1, Jun 25 2002, 20:45:02)
>>[GCC 2.95.3 20010315 (SuSE)] on linux2
>>Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.

>>'2.2.1 (#1, Jun 25 2002, 20:45:02) \n[GCC 2.95.3 20010315 (SuSE)]'

>>(2, 2, 1, 'final', 0)

>>'21.3'

In numarray, this is spelled:

 >>> import numinclude
 >>> numinclude.version
'0.3.4'

I'll add __version__ to numarray as a synonym.

>>Traceback (most recent call last):
>>  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
>>AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute '__version__'

>>Traceback (most recent call last):
>>  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
>>AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'version'
>>
>>   The __doc__ string:
>>       'numarray: The big enchilada numeric module\n\n
>>        $Id: numarray.py,v 1.36 2002/06/17 14:00:20 jaytmiller Exp $\n'
>>   does not seem to give a hint at the version (i.c. 0.3.4), either.
>>
>Well, I remember putting this on the to do list and thought it
>had been done, but obviously not. I'm sure Todd will take care
>of these.
>
>Thanks very much for the feedback.
>
>Perry

Thanks again,