[Numpy-discussion] Introduction

Paul F Dubois paul at pfdubois.com
Sat Apr 13 19:35:02 EDT 2002

I haven't been following this discussion (I have a product release on
Monday). But I am getting a lot of mail stacking up for numpy-developers
which will not go through unless you are one of the registered
developers mailing from your registered mail account.

All others, please do not use numpy-developers. This is a private
channel for the official  developers only.

I gather from my brief reading that someone is looking for a standard to
use now. That standard is Numeric. If you go with that now then when the
time comes to switch to Numarray, you'll be in the same boat as the
whole community and therefore liable to be able to profit from any
conversion tools required. You can reduce your problems to a minimum by
sticking with the Python interface where possible.

If you have some special need that Numeric is not meeting please realize
that what exists is a consensus product after a long evolution and it is
not likely to change much to meet  your particular needs. There are some
areas where what is right for one set of people is wrong for the others.