[Numpy-discussion] converting IDL to python

Joe Reinhardt jmr at engineering.uiowa.edu
Thu Dec 20 08:28:04 EST 2001

"eric" <eric at enthought.com> writes:

> I'm not familiar with these erosion and dialation functions.  Are they
> something that should be in SciPy?  We could start an "idl" package that
> houses functions familiar to this community.  Or maybe they should live in
> another place like "signal" or maybe an image processing package.
> Thoughts?

Dilation and erosion are image processing functions used to "grow" and
"shrink" objects and boundaries.  They are part of a group of image
operators based on the theory of mathematical morphology.  Overall,
they are very extremely useful for shape/size analysis on images.

Yes, they should certainly be part of any image processing toolbox for
Python.  Here is a link for a commercial math. morphology toolbox for
matlab: http://www.mmorph.com

- Joe

--
Joseph M. Reinhardt, Ph.D.   Department of Biomedical Engineering
joe-reinhardt at uiowa.edu      University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA  52242