[Numpy-discussion] Newbie Installation problems

Charles G Waldman cgw at alum.mit.edu
Tue Aug 28 12:39:35 EDT 2001

Culhane, Aedin writes:
 > Dear Numpy Discussion List Users,
 > I would really appreciate if someone could help me install numerical python
 > on Win98. I have downloaded Numerical Python twice now (older version and
 > 20.1.0) but I am unable to get python to import numeric. I am running
 > python2.1.

I'm sure a lot of folks on the list would be glad to help, but without
a little more detail it's hard to say much.  What errors are you
seeing?  How did you install Python?  What directory is it installed
into?  How did you try to install Numpy?

 > I need it to be able to calculate basis statistics (mean, std dev, etc).
 > Will numerical python do this easily or should I write my own scripts?
 > Thanks a million for your help,
 > Aedin Culhane

I think there are some statistics modules floating around on the Net,
but mean and standard deviation are one-liners in NumPy:

from Numeric import *

def mean(a):
    return float(sum(a))/len(a)

def std_dev(a):