[Numpy-discussion] Numeric on OS X - Anyone get it to work ?

Tim Lahey tjlahey at sympatico.ca
Sun Apr 15 22:27:35 EDT 2001

All,

I've been trying to get the Numeric-19.0.0 working on Python 2.1b2 under
OS X. I've successfully
install python and have success with most of the modules, but I have
problems with Numeric. I
can't get it to even load. The following is what I get when I import
Numeric.

Python 2.1b2 (#1, 04/09/01, 22:37:35)
[GCC Apple DevKit-based CPP 6.0alpha] on darwin1
 >>> import Numeric
dyld: python multiple definitions of symbol _PyArray_API
/usr/local/lib/python2.1/site-packages/Numeric/multiarray.so definition
of _PyArray_API
/usr/local/lib/python2.1/site-packages/Numeric/umath.so definition of
_PyArray_API

At this point, I get returned to the command line (python exits). It
appears that the dynamic linker mechanism under OS X doesn't like
symbols with the same name. Anyone have a way around
this ?

Thanks,

Tim Lahey
tjlahey at sympatico.ca