[Numpy-discussion] Da Blas

Frank Horowitz frank at ned.dem.csiro.au
Fri Sep 15 07:28:44 EDT 2000

At 3:14 PM -0700 14/9/00, <dubois at users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>Well, I certainly didn't mean to flame anyone in particular, so I'm sorry
>that Frank was offended.

Publicly apologized, and publicly accepted. I'm sorry I lost my cool.

Ray Beausoleil and I are having a look at this too. He's coming at
the problem from a Windows perspective, and I'm coming at it from a
Linux/Unix perspective.

It's going to be a little slow going for me at first, since it
appears that I'm going to have to get my head around the distutils
way of doing things....

Just in case it saves anyone else following a false lead, yes, there
is a bug in the (Linux Mandrake 7.1; but probably any unix-ish box)
compile line for building the lapack_lite.so shared library (i.e.
what is generated on my box is "-L/usr/lib-llapack" which obviously
is missing a blank before the "-llapack" substring).  However, when I
coerced the distutils system to get around that bug (by specifying
"/usr/lib " with a trailing blank for the BLASLIBDIR and LAPACKLIBDIR
variables in setup.py) the same problem (i.e. an "ImportError:
/usr/lib/liblapack.so.3: undefined symbol: e_wsfe" in importing
lapack_lite) ultimately manifested itself. So my advice is not to
bother tracking that one down (although it probably should be
reported as a bug in distutils, since adding that trailing blank
algorithmically instead of in a user modifiable configuration string
is the "right thing to do", TM.).

I'm still puzzled by Thomas Breul's report of preloading an f2c
library squashing the bug under RedHat 6.2(?). That does not work
under Mandrake, although clearly there is some bloody symbol table
missing from somewhere. The trouble is to find out where, and then to
coerce distutils to deal with that in a portable way...

	Frank
Frank Horowitz                                      frank at ned.dem.csiro.au
CSIRO-Exploration & Mining, PO Box 437, Nedlands, WA 6009,       AUSTRALIA
Direct: +61 8 9284 8431;  FAX: +61 8 9389 1906; Reception: +61 8 9389 8421