[Numpy-discussion] Possible bug in LinearAlgebra module

Charles G Waldman cgw at fnal.gov
Thu Oct 12 14:24:55 EDT 2000

Aureli Soria Frisch writes:

 > I have been working with the function (implmenting the Moore-Penrose
 > generalized inverse) : of the module LinearAlgebra. It seems to
 > present a bug when operating on matrices of complex numbers.

This may or may not be related, but there are definitely problems with
arrays of complex numbers sometimes being unneccessarily promoted to
type "Object" - for example:

  Python 2.0b1 (#2, Sep  8 2000, 12:10:17)
  [GCC 2.95.2 19991024 (release)] on linux2
  >>> from Numeric import *
  >>> a = array([1,2,3], Complex)
  >>> a
  array([ 1.+0.j,  2.+0.j,  3.+0.j])
  >>> a % 2.0
  array([(1+0j) , 0j , (1+0j) ],'O')

And we also know that there are a lot of problems with arrays of
type "Object".  So it's possible that somehow your Complex array is
getting promoted to "Object" and running against a problem there.

Just a guess,

     	-cgw