[Neuroimaging] Planning for data formats - upcoming journal club

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 06:32:04 EST 2021

Hi,

neuroimaging data formats.  Please let me (Matthew) know if you want
to be included in the scheduling for the journal club.  Of course,
once we've got a time, anyone can join the journal club Zoom.

Detail:

As part of the Chan-Zuckerberg grant work, we are thinking about new
formats for using and sharing neuroimaging data.

As you can see in the grant documents:

https://github.com/matthew-brett/czi-nibabel

we've been thinking about HDF5, but further research (e.g. [1]) has
given us some pause for reflection.  Meanwhile, the astronomy
community has done some serious thinking about this, and written this
up in a paper proposing a new astronomy format:

Greenfield, M. Droettboom, E. Bray,
ASDF: A new data format for astronomy,
Astronomy and Computing,
Volume 12,
2015,
Pages 240-251,
ISSN 2213-1337,
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ascom.2015.06.004.
(https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2213133715000645)

Both the discussion and the format seem like a very good starting
point for our own thinking about data formats, so we'd like to have a
journal club to discuss it.

I (Matthew) am going to organize this via Calendly, and I've made a
Caldendly account for Nipy-related stuff, but, if you want to have a
say in when we do the journal club, please let me know so I can add
you to that account.  I'll publish the Calendly link in a day or so.

Cheers,

Matthew

[1] https://cyrille.rossant.net/moving-away-hdf5/