[Neuroimaging] Using Python libs from MATLAB

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 14:02:27 EDT 2016

On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 10:58 AM, Samuel St-Jean <stjeansam at gmail.com> wrote:
> Indeed it is for octave, but since it strives ot have matlab compatibility,
> I just wanted to mention that if they did not got around doing it yet (it
> has been 10 years after all), might be useful to put on the scipy io
> wishlist for the python -> matlab bridge and ficuse on other issues (like
> the segfaults).
>
> In any case, I also tried the scipy one, whihc unfortunately were not
> working, then went to octave, to find out it is still an issue in what I
> guess is all projects doing matlab compatibility (else I would have exected
> them to just use whichever solution the first one came up with, but anyway).

I'm the scipy.io.matlab maintainer.  The reason I never got into the
7.3 format was the hdf5 library dependency, but now stuff is getting
easier to install (wheels, conda packages), it might be worth
revisiting it.  Also - I might be wrong, but I don't think Mathworks
has documented their 7.3 format.  It would probably take a week of
work to get something to test for scipy, but it's way down my priority
list at the moment.

Cheers,

Matthew