[Neuroimaging] [dipy]

Samuel St-Jean stjeansam at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 15:24:10 EDT 2016

Regarding the vcvarsall.bat error, that would point to a missing visual
studio installation. While mingw works well as a compiler, unfortunately
the official python distribution is using visual studio on windows,
which also means that any python extension also needs to be built using
that.

I see from the log that you are using python 3.5, but if the purpose is
to only use dipy, I would suggest maybe using python 2.7 instead, as
microsoft has released a special build of visual studio which just works
as is over here :
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=44266. Well, in
any case I could build dipy on windows without too much hassle
(actually, i think it just worked directly with pip install dipy) using
this and a 2.7 build of python from anaconda at least.

I would also suggest the 64 bits build as it allows you to use more than
4 go of ram, which is a limit easy to hit when processing diffusion mri
datasets unfortunately.

Anyway, if you still have questions feel free to ask back. For more info
on building on windows, maybe Omar can pitch in if he reads the mailing
list, if I recall correctly he also had some issues (and perhaps solved
them) regarding building on windows and mingw/visual studio.

Samuel

P.S. I had to cut the logs as it became too big for the mailing list (>
100 ko needs moderator approvalapparently) for anyone wanting to reply,
please see the original post.