[Neuroimaging] When to use neurostars, and when not to

Michael Hanke michael.hanke at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 19:40:18 CEST 2015

Hey,

On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 7:15 PM, Matthew Brett <matthew.brett at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 6:10 PM, Michael Hanke <michael.hanke at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > please allow me to hijack some of this thread and ask for feedback on
> how to
> > guide users to find help. For the upcoming relaunch of neuro.debian.net
> we
> > have drafted this (example for nibabel):
> >
> > http://neurodebian.ovgu.de/pkgs/python-nibabel.html
> >
> > If you click the "help" button you can see how we envision this guidance.
> >
> > Here is a more featureful example:
> >
> > http://neurodebian.ovgu.de/pkgs/fsl-core.html
> >
> > You can see that neurostars will be recommended for most cases. I'd be
> glad
> > to get your feedback and any suggestions for improvements.
>
> Why yes - I do have a suggestion - I recommend you refer people to the
> relevant mailing lists!

I agree. The problem is that it is not always clear what mailing list is
the right one. Currently,
we use this formulation:

| If you have evidence that your issue not specific to NeuroDebian, your
report is best directed to the developers of the respective software.
| Information on how to contact the respective developers is available at
this location , or on the project homepage.

where 'this location' and 'project homepage' are links to the project sites
that we have on record
in the package meta data.

Needs improvement?

> But more seriously - we have a serious issue here which is about the
> balance of convenience and accessibility against the quality of the
> community that results.  We don't have enough data to know how this
> will pan out yet, but my strong instinct is that the risks of moving
> user discussion and questions to neurostar-type forums are rather
> high, and not worth the gain.

I'd be interested in the outcome of this discussion and will adjust our
acting accordingly.

We (NeuroDebian) have to balance the goals of not "stealing community", and
not "flooding upstream with
Debian-specific  bugs".

Cheers,

Michael