[PyDelhi] To connect to a remote DB2(AS400) over Python, in any case do we have to pay to IBM for the driver?

Gugu Rama gulsumramazanoglu at gmail.com
Fri Jun 23 00:27:56 EDT 2017

Hi everybody,

I am new here and have a question, if you can help I will be really
happy...

I just wonder a point about connecting to an AS400 DB2 over Python.. To
connect to a DB2 of a remote AS400 over any one of the Python DB API
interfaces (ibm_db, pyodbc, pyDB2 or any other one) from Python on
Windows10, in any case do we have to pay for the license of the IBM ODBC
driver? I tried ibm_db and it seems its for free to connect to a DB2 on
Windows, but due to pay for a license to connect to a remote AS400.. Is
there any other way of connecting to a remote AS400 without IBM licensing
"solutions", from Python3.x?...

BTW if here is not the proper email list to ask this kind of a question,
would you please lead me to another one if its more fitting for such a
question.. for I am new in Python, I try to learn proper community grounds
for Q&A as well..

Thank you in advance..

Gulsum