[Ncr-Python.in] Software Engineering - Python

Ankur Sharma richnusgeeks at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 02:46:17 CEST 2011

Hi Gaurav,

First of all, don't go by so called 'Industry Accepted Approach' as there
are so many standards and things people do and the result is a big dirty
mess. Just follow 'Keep It Simple and Stupid' like most of the FLOSS stuff
and the design shall evolve from the step wise test driven implementation.

Ok! coming to the GUI thing. If you have written command line programs then
better first turn those into console based GUI programs using Dialog,
Xdialog, Zenity, whiptail etc. (I've published a full length article
covering all these in Linux For You April 2010 issue, I'll request LFY
people to make that available on linuxforu.com). It's just like the serial
model of the command line scripts without dealing with the event driven
concepts (and lotza brain dead multi threading for the real world apps)
involved with graphics mode toolkits.

Once you turn your command line apps to console mode GUI based stuff then
move to the event driven toolkits like Tk, Gtk+, Qt, FLTK etc. The event
driven stuff is more complicated (and sometimes frustrating too) if done
through static languages like C, C++, JAVA etc. So better to start with
Python and Tkinter (see Tkinter wikipedia entry for some good programming
info). Then move to wxPython and blah blah ... You'll also really appreciate
the productivity and flexibility of the dynamic languages like Python in the
process for the creation of GUI based stuff.

I hope it works for you too as it's working for me for last many years while
creating many production grade automation tools for many product MNCs.

--
Regards,
Ankur

www.richnusgeeks.com
www.richnusgeeks.wordpress.com

IMPORTANT NOTICE: This message is intended only for the use of the
individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information
that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable

law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are
communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by email and
delete the message. Thank you.