[Ncr-Python.in] Documentation using Sphinx

Arulalan T arulalant at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 17:11:11 CET 2011

2011/12/8 Saju M <sajuptpm at gmail.com>

> Hi,
> I am trying source code documentation using Sphinx. Here i have to
> copy paste all modules in to *.rst file, that is painful. Have any way
> to create documentation (doc for all modules, classes and methods in
> the project directory) from project folder quickly. I also planing to
> add a code browsing facility in the document, for example: code should
> display if we click on a method/class name in the doc, does sphinx has
> this feature???  or what tool i have to choose for that ???.

sphinx has the feature to view the class, method's source code and/or doc
string
using the side panel link of every page. It should be like 'view source'
and 'view doc'.

I am using sphinx, I feel it is best tool to generate the documentation.

http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net matplotlib web site is designed by
sphinx only.

http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/devel/documenting_mpl.html?highlight=sphinx#matplotlib.sphinxext.plot_directive

Here is the good documentation about how to start/use the sphinx tool.

Matplotlib contributed to sphinx by

1. generate the py module class inheritance diagram as image
2. ipython colorize in sphinx
3. etc

We can customize the css, if need.

--