[moin-user] Moin 2.0.0a1 released

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Fri Apr 19 11:27:25 EDT 2024

On Friday, 29 March 2024 19:32:50 CEST Paul Boddie wrote:
> On Thursday, 28 March 2024 14:52:44 CET Roger Haase via moin-user wrote:
> > Moinmoin 2.0.0a1 has been released on
> > https://pypi.org/project/moin/#history and
> > https://github.com/moinwiki/moin/releases. See
> > https://moin-20.readthedocs.io/en/latest/,use
> > https://github.com/moinwiki/moin/issues to report bugs.
>
> Is there a documented way of preparing a Python package from the sources now
> that setup.py has been removed?

It appears that the Debian pybuild tool available in my distribution version
was not new enough to understand pyproject.toml, but a later version of the
tool can understand this file. Honestly, I wish that the Python packaging
community would just stop changing everything all the time and just focus on
delivering a coherent tool that does the job.

[...]

> If I am going to continue building Debian packages, I need to have a way of
> preparing them, so any advice about the latest and greatest in
> Python-centric packaging would be very welcome.

I managed to work around this change by adjusting the pyproject.toml file to
incorporate various data resources that are missing from the built package.
This required a new-enough version of setuptools because recursive copying
(using "**" notation) had somehow not been implemented until fairly recently.

For reference, this missing data resource problem previously affected the
setup.py file, and what happens is that various directories inside src/moin,
such as static and themes do not have their contents copied to the build
hierarchy. I suspect also that the MANIFEST.in file's directives are also not
observed.

One significant problem with packaging Moin for Debian now revolves around
Flask compatibility. Debian unstable has replaced Flask 2 with Flask 3, and
despite the corresponding issue being closed in the Moin issue tracker...

https://github.com/moinwiki/moin/issues/1659

...it seems that the code still does not work with Flask 3. Have I missed the
changes since 2.0.0a1 that have delivered Flask 3 compatibility?

Paul