[moin-user] Importing pages to MoinMoin

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Wed Jun 21 11:28:14 EDT 2017

On Wednesday 21. June 2017 17.06.16 Volker Wysk wrote:

> I've installed and configured MoinMoin now, and now I want to import a few
> hundred pages in MoinMoin.
>
> There doesn't seem to be an import feature, but the storage looks simple.
> I'm about to write a little program to create MoinMoin data structures
> (files and directories), from directories of plain text files.

You can try putting your pages in a directory along with a MOIN_PACKAGE file,
creating a .zip file, and then using the page package feature to import it.
That is perhaps easier than trying to get the storage layout correct, and you
can even version the imports. See the help page:

https://moinmo.in/HelpOnPackageInstaller

> My question is, whether it is as simple as it looks. Is there something to
> regard? What about full-text search? Does an index need to be updated? (In
> the help page "SeiteFinden" ("find page") there is a dead link at the
> bottom, "WegWeiser: eine Liste aller unterstützten Indizierungsschemata"
> ("direction sign: a list of all supported indexing schemas")).

Take a look at the Xapian support:

https://moinmo.in/HelpOnXapian

As usual, the biggest problems with both of these things is getting the
permissions right when running the moin commands. Otherwise, Moin will fail to
access the necessary files and maybe even leave incorrectly-permissioned files
lying around to obstruct further operations.

Paul