[moin-user] Can't get ACL to work

Asis Hallab asis.hallab at gmail.com
Fri Apr 21 12:41:26 EDT 2017

Dear Chris and MoinMoin-Users,

unfortunately your hints did not elucidate the cause of my problem with
ACL. Please see below's inline answers and questions.

> On 04/21/2017 10:10 AM, Asis Hallab wrote:
>
>> Dear MoinMoin-Experts,
>>
>> I have edited the MoinMoin-Config as indicated in the documentation in
>> order to allow only Known Users access to the Wiki:
>>
>> acl_hierarchic = True
>> acl_rights_before = u"Known:read"
>>
>> Still after restarting Apache (and the server itself, just to make sure)
>> I can still see all pages without logging in.
>>

> I wrote up a wiki for my users that explains how ACLs work in MoinMoin, as
> we experienced some weird access problems similar to yours.  Perhaps it
> will help you:
>
> https://wiki.bcs.rochester.edu/ComputerHelp/UnderstandingAcls

I have read this, and actually I think I understood the things you
explained within the Wiki.
I still do not understand, why the two lines in my *wikiconfig.py*

acl_hierarchic = True
acl_rights_before = u"Known:read"

do not do the magic?

As far as I understand, I tell the Wiki to use hierarchical ACL, and then I
tell it to use the default that only Known users are able to read. I also
tried

acl_rights_before = u"All:"

to tell MoinMoin to ignore all not logged in users. I still can see the
MoinMoin's Wiki FrontPage, and call any non-existing page where I'm offered
to create it. All this without being a logged in user.

Any hints?
Please!

Cheers!