[Moin-user] TimeChanges: an edit-timing extension for MoinMoin

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Thu May 5 14:49:03 EDT 2016

Hello,

I've been thinking of making an extension like this for a while, but I finally
got round to it today. The TimeChanges extension measures the time between a
user viewing a page and then saving it. If the measured time is too short, the
edit is rejected.

One motivation for this extension is to prevent automated edits of a certain
kind where a script or robot attempts to rapidly edit pages. There appears to
be similar extensions for WordPress that attempt to detect robot-like
behaviour.

I've uploaded the code to a repository in the following location:

http://hgweb.boddie.org.uk/TimeChanges

I think there are probably other interesting techniques that could be applied,
too. These days, deploying Moin can be a challenge due to the pervasive
spamming that now takes place on the Web, and it would be interesting to
explore solutions that make it easier to cultivate trusted communities of wiki
contributors without the manual effort that is currently needed to do so.

Maybe this, amongst other counter-measures, may be useful to someone.

Paul

P.S. This might also serve as inspiration or as a reference to other potential
extension authors, especially since it isn't much code at all.